St. patrick's day

If the Saint was Saint Patrick, and the day is Saint Patrick's Day, then why do people call it Paddy's day? I'm not giving out I just want to know why people call it Paddy's Day, is it not disrespectful to him as it is a religious day? Or do you just say Paddy because your used to hearing people say Paddys day? People tend to forget the religious part of it and think of it as a day to get hammered. Oh and I'm definitely not preaching about religion :P not very religious myself. (btw I only really think like this because my parents raised me to think it's disrespectful, they've always said it is)I know Paddy is a nickname, I'm Irish.I'd say Paddy's day when I'm not arount my mam or dad. It's only because other people say it and it's kinda like a more comfortable word if you get me? 

Saint Patrick's Day - is a yearly holiday celebrated on 17 March. It is named after Saint Patrick (circa AD 387–461), the most commonly recognized of the patron saints of Ireland. It began as a purely Christian holiday and became an official feast day in the early 1600s. However, it has gradually become more of a secular celebration of Ireland's culture.
 St. Patrick's Day is about more than just green beer and shamrocks. Find the top 10 ways to celebrate the Emerald Isles this March 17th.
Finding St Patricks Day 2010 printable greeting cards for friends, family and loved ones should not be hard as their are many greeting card websites that offer a variety of cards.

Follow me on Twitter - @Streetmachine