The biggest loser in the Twitter search deals

Image representing FriendFeed as depicted in C...Image via CrunchBase

No, it’s not FriendFeed, although yesterday didn’t provide any good news to users there who really would love to hear that their community still matters. Google and Microsoft said “no.”

So, who is the biggest loser in the Twitter search deals announced yesterday (First Bing announced it made a deal with Twitter. Then Google jumped in and said “me too.”)

Facebook.

“But didn’t Facebook make a deal with Bing too yesterday?”

Yes.

But tell me again what market share that Bing has? Somewhere less than 10%. Even if they double that over the next year (hint: they won’t) that means 20%. Now, what’s Google’s market share? Somewhere around 70%, right? So, even if it loses 10% to Bing that still is 60%.

In other words, if you aren’t on Google you don’t exist to most people.

Who doesn’t exist on Google (at least in terms of deals for the firehose feed?)

1. FriendFeed (which is owned by Facebook).
2. Facebook.

Why did this happen?

Well, remember, Microsoft has an advertising deal with Facebook. I bet there’s some funny language in a contract somewhere that is keeping Facebook from making search deals with Google.

Loser!

So, why does all this search stuff matter for tweets and Facebook status messages?

Well, I keep looking at searches for businesses. Things like if you are looking on Google for “Sushi in Palo Alto, CA.”

See that list? What do you notice about it?

I notice a few things.

1. It feels cold when compared to, say, my Facebook feed. Why is that? No friends!
2. There’s no real time news. Did a great shipment of salmon ship in yesterday? How would I know from this list?
3. There are no offers from restaurant #3. This is where the money is and Google is leaving a TON of it on the table here but Yelp is actually showing the way here — open up Yelp’s iPhone app and you’ll see offers to try to get you into the restaurant.

So, how can Twitter help?

Well, if certain Tweets could be routed to this page, especially ones from my friends who will tell me that, say, Fuki-Sushi has the best fresh fish, well, then, that would be very cool and useful. Even further, what if both restaurants and customers could talk about Fuki-Sushi in real time? When I was in Paris last year we were in a restaurant where rats were crawling on the floor. Wouldn’t you like to know that about a restaurant before you took your date there? Isn’t real time very important? I think so. I want to know what the experience is there now, not last night. My favorite sushi restaurant always has a line. Wouldn’t it be fun to see a Tweet from someone who is there telling you that the line at your favorite place is short right now?

And, couldn’t Twitter be used as infrastructure to deliver offers from the restaurants themselves? Oh, yeah!

But all that isn’t the real reason why Facebook is the big loser.

Facebook has another problem. People think it’s a service for talking to your college friends. Or your close “real world” friends and family. I watch my wife and that’s how she uses it. She doesn’t understand that Facebook needs to move her into their public world so that they can turn on search and enable other cool experiences that will go outside of her little walled garden.

It will be professional publishers that drag people to new use cases. Already people are starting to change their behaviors on Facebook because of celebrity fan pages, which are public.

But where will influential people, celebrities, brands, professional publishers, etc choose to publish? Where their words have a shot at getting at the biggest audiences.

Today that audience is on Google. Google is the prize. Repeat that 50 times.

Twitter, so far, has made a deal with Google. Facebook, so far, has NOT made a deal with Google.

Until Facebook can get around the terms in that advertising deal it signed with Microsoft it is the biggest loser of the day yesterday.


/via scobleizer.com/

Эти и другие новости в моем аккаунте @Streetmachine

29 коммент.:

  Unknown

23 октября 2009 г. в 01:40

hi, I'm the owner of kidsbabyshop, you visited my site last time,You know you are the first commented on my site, thanks before. may I write my url here too?

  streetmachine

23 октября 2009 г. в 01:48

budi - yes, of course)

  Digibrony

23 октября 2009 г. в 01:55

hehe, interesting stuff. I am a big supporter of Twitter and the idea of it becoming a more prominent social network than Facebook entices me, so I find this all rather exciting.

  streetmachine

23 октября 2009 г. в 02:03

digitalboy -
Twitter is very useful for communication. For example, reviews of movies I'm looking at Twitter

  mtjuice

23 октября 2009 г. в 02:26

Yes you can quote from http://www.invitegooglewave.com and put a link. thanks

  Анонимный

23 октября 2009 г. в 03:52

Hello! Yes, of course you may!

  BooTCaT

23 октября 2009 г. в 05:33

hello from katrinakaifs.com . i saw your comment . if intrested please leave a comment again and we can talk .
thanks .

  Unknown

23 октября 2009 г. в 08:01

You left me a comment asking if you could quote and link to me in a post… before I can answer that, I would like to ask what you are looking to quote.

  K.Pete

23 октября 2009 г. в 08:38

Interesting article. You asked if you could link to my blog - that's totally cool!! :)

Have a great day!!

  JA

23 октября 2009 г. в 13:20

Hi there, this is j.a. from midnightanxiety.com. Regarding your request to borrow a quote on my site sure, no problem...

  Анонимный

23 октября 2009 г. в 13:45

sure you can

  Hot Bisnis

23 октября 2009 г. в 14:18

I like your blog.
Thanks for visiting my site

Business Day

  Michael

23 октября 2009 г. в 15:28

I agree that Google has the largest market share and it will continue to. Nice blog....

  殘雪孤山客

23 октября 2009 г. в 15:55

Hello from Taiwan.I'm the webmaster of "swagman.twbbs.org".
Of course you may quote it.
And thanks for visiting.

  Unknown

23 октября 2009 г. в 16:15

Yes, you may use a quote from "Current Commentary" (http://palisadeshudson.com/current-commentary/) with a link to the original post

  Анонимный

23 октября 2009 г. в 17:10

Hi, thanks for the comment and I added you to my blogroll. Be well :)

  Unknown

23 октября 2009 г. в 18:38

Hello, this is Alex from adunn.net. Sure you can definitely quote and link me. Thanks!

  Wolfram&Hart

23 октября 2009 г. в 18:54

Greetings, Yes you may quote my blog with a link back, and thank you very much for asking!
Natalia Corres

  Анонимный

24 октября 2009 г. в 01:09

Hello and thanks for coming by my site at Click! You left a comment asking if you could link back and post a quote from one of my photos. I'd be flattered. Thank you. The link is www.lisahudson.wordpress.com

Again, thanks for visiting. Hope all is well on the other side of the globe!

Lisa

  Unknown

24 октября 2009 г. в 01:14

Great insightful post.

  Bigcityb

24 октября 2009 г. в 05:58

Hi there! Thanks for popping by www.ilovesnackfood.com

Would love that you are linking us! Come by again :-)

  Анонимный

24 октября 2009 г. в 10:03

Thanks visiting my blogsite. Honestly, I dont use much of tweeter and facebook...i rather concentrate of improving my several blogsites. Well, tweeter and facebook are somehow helping me promote my blogs readership. All the best...

  Анонимный

24 октября 2009 г. в 22:35

Sure, you can post anything you want as long as the right person gets credited back. :) Cheers!

Patricia Ann
www.theshapesofthings.com

  SZA

25 октября 2009 г. в 04:45

Hey Polprav,
This is a good one. Thanks.
& yes you can link to any post at www.kbspot.com ..

  by kids kor kids

25 октября 2009 г. в 11:27

Hi

This is your comment in my web site.

"Hello from Russia!
Can I quote a post in your blog with the link to you"

Can you tell what exactly you mean by this.

-http://kidzmagzine.com

  Kristen

25 октября 2009 г. в 15:06

Go ahead. You can quote if you want to. By the way, we had a friend in college who was Russian. Your site makes me a little nostalgic. He and my husband spent many happy hours arguing over...pretty much everything "Stupid American Cars" Lots of fun and while they argued, his wife and I got to talk and look at our wedding albums and not argue. Good times.

  Kang Abdul

25 октября 2009 г. в 16:25

i am from funtechno.com. please feel free.

  TIK21'Blogspot

26 октября 2009 г. в 03:10

Hello!
Of course u can. n I so happy for that. Thank's

newware.info

  NNANN

26 октября 2009 г. в 11:49

say hi : )
from nnann.org

ei ei